Another month, another tasty feature at Calgary’s Southern inspired barbecue joint….with a twist! Jane Bond BBQ is moving our weekly feature to a MONTHLY feature, now more of our wonderful Calgarian folks have a chance to taste and experience dishes created by Chef Jenny B.
For the month of October we’re servin’ up Ricotta Hush Puppies topped with Vanilla ice cream and drizzled with Bourbon Caramel, crushed pecans, and topped with a maraschino cherry.
Grab yourself a skillet to share for just $12 folks. Psst, hey, grab a napkin...you’re drooling a bit😉
· 2 cups Flour
· ½ tsp Baking Powder
· 2 dashes Salt
· 1/2 cup Sugar
· 500g Ricotta Cheese
· 4 Eggs (beaten)
· 2 tsp Vanilla
· Handful of crushed Walnuts (per plating)
· 2 scoops Vanilla Ice Cream (per plating)
· Bourbon Caramel Syrup or Syrup of your choice
· Maraschino cherries (approx. 2 per plating)
Note: Yields 5-6 Portions (Family or share size!), Shelf Life of 5 days
1. Preheat your deep fryer to 350 degrees, you’ll need this shortly!
2. Mix together 2 eggs (beaten), flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, ricotta, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Be sure to mix well and get any clumps or air bubbles out. For a light and airy texture, mix well and fast for 5 minutes.
3. Once your batter is blended well, take a small half tablespoon scoop and place 6 individual scoops into the fryer.
4. Let fry for approximately 4-5 minutes, remove from the fryer, shake around to make sure they flip and then place them back into the deep fryer for another 4-5 minutes until they’re a beautiful deep brown. This will ensure your dough is cooked thoroughly and crisps on the outside, while keeping your dough chewy and moist on the inside.
5. While your hushpuppies cool, grab your skillet or serving dish, ice cream, walnuts, bourbon caramel syrup and maraschino cherries.
6. When your hushpuppies have had a chance to cool, place them into your skillet or dish, top with 2 generous scoops of ice cream, sprinkle your crushed walnuts on top, drizzle your bourbon caramel sauce all over, have fun with it!
7. Finally, place your cherries on top of your ice cream mounds. Voila, time to serve and dig in!